Tuesday, December 17, 2013

CARRYING ANOTHER'S BURDENS









CARRYING ANOTHER’S BURDENS




Have you ever
Tried to help another human being


I mean really help someone
NOT just giving lip service


Whether it be family, friend
Or a virtual stranger


We ALL need help
At one time or another


It may be
Because of health difficulties
It may be
Because of financial problems or obligations
A lost job---mitigating circumstances
Broken relationships within a family
Or with a very close friend


In any case
We need help---we can’t do it alone
Because we are fighting heavy battles
And we are losing


It may surprise you to know
That OUR LORD knows this
It wasn’t any different 2000 years ago


Jesus saw this
And with a compassionate loving heart
He said,


“Come to me
All you who are weary and heavy burdened
And I will give you rest
Take my yoke upon you
And learn from me
For I am gentle and humble of heart
And you will find rest
For your souls


For my yoke is easy
And my burden is light” Matthew 11:28-30


A yoke is the instrument
That binds 2 animals together


Maybe you have
So many problems
That you feel
You have nothing left
To help someone else


Maybe you have
So many burdens
That you feel
Nothing and no one can help you


I have some news for you
Jesus can


He carried
The weight of the world
Some 2000 years ago
I thin he is quite capable
Of carrying yours and my burdens


We live
In a world
Full of selfishness
Becoming more and more so
Each day


“What the world needs now
Is love---sweet love
It is the only thing
That there is just too little of” from a song many years ago


Tiredness of body---come to me
Weakness of soul and spirit---come to me


Jesus says,


“Come to me
Let me help you
Carry your burdens”


He can carry burdens
And solve problems
That we never can
Maybe
Burdens and problems that we
Were never intended to carry


Moses believed in God’s promises
Abraham believed
The Blessed Mother---Mary---believed


“I am the Lord’s servant
may it be done to me
According to your Word” Luke 1:38


Do you believe
Do I believe


Your problems my be great
My problems may be great


They are NOT insurmountable


“And we know
That in all things
God works for the good
Of those who love him” Romans 8:28


Maybe we can’t
Carry another’s burdens
Maybe we can’t even
Carry our own


But God says---Christ says,
“I can”
He says,
“Tie your yoke to me”


He says the most appealing words
Ever heard
This side of paradise---


---“COME TO ME”
And you will find REST for your souls


Robert P. Wallman
8-7-11









* Inspired by the teaching of Father Leo Clifford O.F.M.

No comments:

Post a Comment