Monday, April 22, 2013










WITNESS


4-23-13


DUTY





In the tenth chapter
Of Saint John’s Gospel
Jesus tells us an amazing story

Basically it is the story
And the difference
Between doing something out of a sense of duty
And doing something out of love for another

It is the story of
THE GOOD SHEPHERD

The hired hand
Watches the sheep
He is not a bad man
He is doing his job
Out of honor---our of a sense of duty
To receive a paycheck

But when the moment of crisis comes
When the wolves---or the thieves---or something else
Comes to attack the sheep
The hired hand will take off

After all
Who can expect an employee
To give up his life for his job

The GOOD SHEPHERD will not run
He will stand by his sheep when under attack
HE LOVES HIS SHEEP

“I am the good shepherd
The good shepherd lays down his life
For the sheep

The hired hand is not the shepherd
Who owns the sheep
So when he sees the wolf coming
He abandons the sheep and runs away

Then the wolf attacks the flock
And scatters it
The man runs away
Because he is a hired hand
And cares nothing for the sheep”                                           John 10:11-13

Who or what
Are you trusting in this life

If it’s not God or close family
Or very close friends
I guarantee you
That when the attacks in this life come---
And they will come---that they will be gone



In that same Xth chapter of Saint John’s Gospel
Jesus goes on to say,

“I ma the good shepherd
I KNOW MY SHEEP
And my sheep KNOW me

Just as the Father knows me
And I know the Father
And I lay down my life for my sheep

I have other sheep
That are not of this sheep pen
I must bring them also

They too
Will listen to my voice
And there shall be one flock
And one shepherd

The reason my Father loves me
Is that I lay down my life---
Only to take it up again

NO ONE takes it from me
But I lay it down
Of my own accord

I have authority to lay it down
And authority to take it up again
This command
I received from my Father                                                John 10:14-18

What a comforting feeling to know
That WHEN WE GET LOST in this life
That OUR FATHER---and his SON JESUS CHRIST
Our elder brother
Is standing right there beside us
FIGHTING for us
If only we let THEM

Jesus tells us
That when we love someone
We go “BEYOND” the call---out of love
We go
THE EXTRA MILE

“My sheep listen to my voice
I know them---and they FOLLOW me”                              John 10: 27

Dear Lord—we pray
Thank you for loving us
And counting us among your sheep

Robert P. Wallman
2-9-12


Ps        WITNESS        4-23-13

Duty is an obligation-LOVE-is FREELY GIVEN

No comments:

Post a Comment