Wednesday, March 28, 2012




NOW I SEE


We all know
What it means
To be physically blind
Or at least
We can imagine

To not be able
To see
The beautiful faces and smiles
Of our children

To not be able
To see
The dazzling golden sun

To
As we walk along
A coast of water
To not be able
To see those waves
Come crashing in

But what does it mean
To be spiritually blind

To not recognize
The love of God
Or to see God
In one another

In the Gospel of Matthew
The 23rd chapter to be precise
Jesus castigates
The religious leaders
Of his day

Jesus says to them,
“If anyone
Swears by the Temple
It means nothing

But if anyone
Swears by the gold of the Temple
He is bound
By his oath

You blind fools
Which is greater
The gold
Or the Temple
That makes gold sacred”

God above money
Love above hate
It’s what is in
A person’s heart
That counts and is important

Man judges by outward appearance
But God judges
By what is in
A person’s heart

Now I see
I see
What you are saying Lord
Now I can see

Jesus goes on
To tell the religious leaders
Of his day,

“You are the ones
Who justify yourselves
In the eyes of men
But God knows your hearts
What is highly valued
Among men
Is detestable in God’s sight’

Peace, love, kindness, forgiveness
Now I see Lord
Now I see
What is really important

It isn’t any different today Lord
Is it

NOW I SEE

Robert P. Wallman
4-4-11


No comments:

Post a Comment