Tuesday, August 7, 2012







THE OLDEST LIGHTHOUSE


Today August 7th
Is National Lighthouse Day

Did you know that
The oldest lighthouse in the United States
Is the Boston Light
On Little Brewster Island in Massachusetts
Built in 1716

It was restructured in 1783
Because it was damaged
In the Revolutionary War

This makes the oldest lighthouse
ORIGINALLY BUILT-
As Sandy Hook Lighthouse in New Jersey
It was built in 1764                                                                    Parade Magazine 8-5-12

But we ALL KNOW
That there is a LIGHTHOUSE
That has existed since the beginning of time
And a lighthouse
That will exist
Until the end of time

And God said,
“Let there be LIGHT”                                                                            1 Genesis 3

The definition of a lighthouse
Is a tower or a structure
With a powerful light
That gives a continuous or intermittent signal
To navigators-a beacon                                                            Merriam Webster Dictionary

And in my case
My God-my light
Is my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ
Who is ALWAYS SHINING

Even though
I walk in the valley
My light is still shining

SHINING
As I navigate this walk of life
As I navigate my health failures
As I navigate my financial failures
As I navigate my relationship failures

My light just keeps shining

And it is shining
Because my hope
Is NOT in myself
My HOPE
Is in MY GOD
MY ONE TRUE LIGHTHOUSE

“You are my lamp O Lord
The Lord turns my darkness
Into light”                                                                            2 Samuel 22:29

MY BEACON-MY LIGHT-MY GOD

And my light is continuous
NEVER FAILING
It is I who is intermittent

I falter
Because of my health
I falter
Because of my finances
I falter
Because people let me down
And I falter
Because though I don’t mean to
I sometimes let other people down

But my beacon-my light-my God
Remains steady
THE ONE TRUE LIGHT
Through all my storms

The Boston Light
Had to be restructured in1783
Due to damages

The ONE true light
The meaning of God in our lives
Had to be restructured
Some 2000 years ago

A beacon is a lighthouse
On a coast
That gives ships a guiding signal
That leads us to safety

And God our beacon
Our lighthouse
SHOWS us the way to safety
When we become dangerously close
To the edges of life

And so on this August 7th
When we honor the physical structures
We call lighthouses

LET US HONOR THE ONE TRUE LIGHT

“God is LIGHT
In him-there is NO darkness at all”                                                         1 John 1:5

Robert P. Wallman
8-5-12

No comments:

Post a Comment