Friday, October 12, 2012







OCTOBER 13th, 2012


A FATHER’S LEGACY


My father has bee gone
Twelve years now
I still miss him
Like it was yesterday

I miss the happy times
The sad times
The times we laughed together
The times we ate and drank together
And the times
We broke down
And cried together

Some of my fondest memories are:

When I was three years old
Roy Rogers was my hero
I would only answer
To the name of “Roy
I remember sitting on my hobby horse
In my cowboy hat
And my dad looking down at me
Grinning at me
And calling me “ROY”

I remember coming home for lunch
In grade school
And watching the “Dick Van Dyke” show
Over and over and over again
I used to think dad and mom
Were “Rob and Laura Petrie”

I remember going to my first high school dance
In ninth grade
I remember Davey O.
On the back of the bus saying,
“What was your dad doing at the dance?”
I thought he was kidding
It turned out dad was at the dance
“Checking” to see who I was dancing with

My dad liked his beer
And I remember every Saturday morning
For 30 years
My dad saying he had the “flu”
It never dawned on him
That he might have a hangover

I remember waking up
To bacon and eggs
Every Sunday morning growing up
That was the only cooking
That dad did

I remember John and Karen
And their kids showing up one Saturday
My dad was outside raking the leaves
My dad actually told them
“nobody was home”
I can still see their faces-looking at him incredulously
These were the people
We were closest to in the whole world

Well I could go on
With these stories forever

But I think
I will remember
The LOVE dad brought to me in LIFE
And the sadness ( BUT HOPE )
He brought to me in death

Dad this one
Is for you

I think-maybe tomorrow
I just might have the “flu”

Respectfully,

Robert P. Wallman
6-08-07

Ps        “Honor your FATHER AND MOTHER
             So that you may live long in the land
             The Lord your God is giving you”                       Exodus 20:12

            “A wise son brings joy to his FATHER”                Proverbs 10:1

No comments:

Post a Comment