Monday, October 8, 2012






OCTOBER 8th, 2012


GOD AND MONEY


Recently
I have been exposed
To some selfish experiences
In regard to
People and their money

One such experience
Involved a man I met at church
This man road me home from church
A few times

Each time
He said he didn’t have any gas
So each time-I gave him $5

After knowing this man
For a little over a month
I received a call
Asking me if I could borrow $60
He said they were going
To shut off his phone
And his livelihood
Depended on him having a phone

I had my reservations
But I thought about our Lord
And asked myself
What he would do

I told him to drive down
And I wrote him a check for $60
He did –and I did

When he picked up the money
He explained to me
That he was a  man of his word
And would pay me back on Tuesday

When Tuesday came
He called me
And asked me for my bank account numbers
So he could put the money
In my account

Of course
I did not give him my account numbers
I gave him my address instead
And told him to mail me the money

Of course
I never heard from him again
I think about him and pray for him
I am not bitter
I know
I only did
What our Lord would want me to do


Then there was the story
Of a young man
Who broke into Saint John’s Catholic Church
And used a crucifix to jimmy the lock
And steal the money
From the cash box

What is sad
Is that the church
Said that they would have helped him
Had he just asked
I believe they would have
I believe most churches would

Where is this world
Heading with my its greed
I asked myself
What did Jesus teach about money

We all know his teaching on tithing
( GIVING 10% to the church )
But what else
Did Jesus teach about money

In Luke’s gospel-Luke 12-13
Jesus talks about a rich fool
He talks about a rich man
Who produced a great crop
But had nowhere to store his crops
He talks about how this rich man says to himself,
“This is what I will do
I will tear down my barn
And build bigger ones
And there I will store my grain and food
And I’ll say to myself
“You have plenty of good thins
Laid up for many years
Take life easy
Eat-drink-and be merry”

Jesus says
This man is a fool
Because that very night
God will demand his life back
And he will die

Jesus goes on to say
This is how it will be with anyone
Who stores up things for himself
But is not rich toward God

And in Luke 16
Jesus tells the story
Of a rich man and Lazarus-a beggar
At the rich man’s gate
Lazarus laid and begged for food every day
The rich man
Never shared anything with Lazarus

Eventually-the beggar died
And the angels came
And took him to Abraham’s side
But the rich man died too
And was taken to hell
Where he was in torment

The rich man
Pleaded with Abraham
To have pity on him
And let Lazarus dip the tip
Of his finger in water
And cool the rich man’s tongue

Abraham replied
That in he rich man’s previous life
He had everything
And Lazarus had nothing
So Abraham said no

An in Luke 21
Jesus talks about the poor widow’s offering
Of two small copper coins
Being greater
Than what all the rich people were giving
At the temple

Jesus said,

“The poor widow
Has put in more than all the others
All these people
Gave their gifts out of their wealth
But she out of her poverty
Put in all she had to live on”

And in Matthew 19:24-Jesus said,

“I tell you the truth
It is hard for a rich man
To enter the kingdom of heaven
Again I tell you
It is easier for a camel
To pass through the eye of a needle
Than for a rich man
To enter the kingdom of heaven”

A few months ago I lost my mother
She had nothing of material value
Of this world

But at the end of her life
She was surrounded
By people who loved her

She told me once
That 40 people had lived
In our home for 30 days or more
I am here to tell you
That that was true
But my mother and my father
Gave everything they had
FOR OTHERS
They were rich in love

I heard a Protestant minister say once

“I have been with many people
As they were dying
Not one ever said,
“I wish I would have made another $million
They all inevitably say,
I wish I would have loved my spouse more
I wish I would have spent more time
with my spouse, my children, etc….

I made a deathbed promise many years ago
“To live for my family, my friends,
And for all people everywhere”

I have nothing of material value
In this world
But like my mother and my father
I have done my best
To share what I do have

My point is this:  LET LOVE AND COMPASSION
                             Be your motivating force---NOT money

Robert P. Wallman
July 6th, 2012

Ps    Today if the feast of OUR LADY OF GOOD REMEDY

        800 years ago
        Christians were being captured  by Muslims
        And sold into slavery

        Saint John Matha founded the Trinitarians

        He needed large amounts of money
        To free the slaves
        He prayed to MARY-the BLESSED MOTHE
        For money for this cause

        His prayers were answered
        So be honored Mary by giving her the title

        OF OUR LADY OF GOOD REMEDY-today October 8th-is the feast day





No comments:

Post a Comment