Saturday, February 29, 2020

THE LOON WENT THE WRONG WAY


“The Loon Went the Wrong Way”


When I was a child, the 4 families always went on vacation together for a week or two.  In the early
Years, we all went to Cape May, New Jersey.  In the later years, it was Ocean City, Maryland.
And finally, the Outer Banks, in North Carolina.  My Uncle John was the mastermind, and usually
2 families stayed together in side-by-side houses, or we all stayed in the same house.

One year, we were all traveling together to Ocean City, Maryland. We were all following each other,
And we all had CB radios.  That particular year, I believe we had 4 or 5 cars, with my Dad tucked in
Next-to-last.  My cousin, Donny, was last, to keep an eye on my Dad.

My Dad had a habit of doing his own thing and going the wrong way.  About a ½ an hour before a
Specific turn on our way down, everybody starts talking about how up here, at such-and-such mile-
Marker you have to “bear to your right.”

So we get to the mile-marker, the first 3 cars bear to the right, and my Dad keeps going straight.
My cousin, Donny,  starts screaming over the CB radio, “the loon ( as he was affectionately called ),
Went the wrong way.  The loon went the wrong way.”

To make a long story short, they chased us down, we continued on our trip, and we had a wonderful vacation..


Respectfully,


Robert P. Wallman       7/15/07

No comments:

Post a Comment