Sunday, June 1, 2014

MISTAKES-REPENTANCE-SORROW



















MISTAKES-REPENTANCE-SORROW




Are you sorry
For anything
That you have ever done
In your life


For a decision
You made in your life
Somewhere along the way


IF you are not
I don't think
You are HUMAN
Like the rest of us


Because sometimes
Even with the BEST OF INTENTIONS
Sometimes-something we did
Or didn't do
Had a negative impact
On someone else


And sometimes
Something we did or didn't do
Has a negative impact
On our relationship with God
(the first commandment)


Or a negative impact
On our relationship with others
(the second commandment)


In the bible
REPENTANCE is defined as
“To feel sorry for sins”


It is a common theme
Of the old testament prophets
About Israel returning to God


And also preached by Jesus


TWICE in the XIIIth chapter
Of Saint Luke's Gospel
Jesus says,


“UNLESS you repent
You will perish” Luke 13:3&5


It took me a long time
To get it right


I KEPT
Committing the same stupid sin
The same stupid mistake
OVER and over and over again


But somehow
I kept TURNING TO GOD
And eventually
I got it right


IF you haven't done so yet
I am sure
You can do it


What got to me
Was that when I examined my conscience
And said the act of contrition:


“OH my God
I am heartily sorry
For having offended thee


And I detest ALL my sins
Because I dread
The loss of heaven
And the pains
Of hell


But most of all
BECAUSE I OFFENED thee my God
Who art all good
And deserving
Of ALL my love
….....”


And then it would hit me
LOOKING UP at the cross


I KNEW
That I LOVED that man
Hanging on the cross
For me


MORE THAN
Any stupid sin
I could or would
Intentionally commit


I don't want to
Offend God-anymore
I don't want to
OFFEND-Jesus-anymore


I LOVE GODAND JESUS MORE


And not only
The old testament prophets and Jesus
But also Peter and Paul
Preached REPENTANCE


“Peter replied,
'REPENT and be baptized
Every one of you
In the name of Jesus Christ
For the forgiveness
Of your sins


And you will receive
The GIFT of THE HOLY SPIRIT “ Acts 2:38


“GODLY SORROW brings REPENTANCE
That leads to salvation
And leaves no regret
But worldly sorrow brings death” 2 Corinthians 7:10


REPENTANCE-salvation
The kingdom of God is NEAR
IT is as close
AS YOUR OWN HEART


Robert P. Wallman
5-16-14


No comments:

Post a Comment