Friday, October 13, 2023

A FATHER'S LEGACY!

 

 

 

 

 

 

OCTOBER 13th, 2012

 

 

A FATHER’S LEGACY

 

 

My father has been gone  

Twelve years now                  (23 years now)

I still miss him

Like it was yesterday

 

I miss the happy times

The sad times

The times we laughed together

The times we ate and drank together

And the times

We broke down

And cried together

 

Some of my fondest memories are:

 

When I was three years old

Roy Rogers was my hero

I would only answer

To the name of “Roy”

I remember sitting on my hobby horse

In my cowboy hat

And my dad looking down at me

Grinning at me

And calling me “ROY”

 

I remember coming home for lunch

In grade school

And watching the “Dick Van Dyke” show

Over and over and over again

I used to think dad and mom

Were “Rob and Laura Petrie”

 

I remember going to my first high school dance

In ninth grade

I remember Davey O.

On the back of the bus saying,

“What was your dad doing at the dance?”

I thought he was kidding

It turned out dad was at the dance

“Checking” to see who I was dancing with

 

My dad liked his beer

And I remember every Saturday morning

For 30 years

My dad saying he had the “flu”

It never dawned on him

That he might have a hangover

 

I remember waking up

To bacon and eggs

Every Sunday morning growing up

That was the only cooking

That dad did

 

I remember John and Karen

And their kids showing up one Saturday

My dad was outside raking the leaves

My dad actually told them

“nobody was home”

I can still see their faces-looking at him incredulously

These were the people

We were closest to in the whole world

 

Well I could go on

With these stories forever

 

But I think

I will remember

The LOVE dad brought to me in LIFE

And the sadness ( BUT HOPE )

He brought to me in death

 

Dad this one

Is for you

 

I think-maybe tomorrow

I just might have the “flu”

 

Respectfully,

 

Robert P. Wallman

6-08-07

 

Ps        “Honor your FATHER AND MOTHER

             So that you may live long in the land

             The Lord your God is giving you”                       Exodus 20:12

 

            “A wise son brings joy to his FATHER”                Proverbs 10:1

 

 

10-13-20=DAD'S BEEN GONE 20 years now=LOVE HIM SO!

21 years now=as of  10-13-2021 and 10-

 

No comments:

Post a Comment