Sunday, October 22, 2023

YOU CAN'T HAVE IT ALL!

 

 

 

 

 

 

OCTOBER 22nd, 2012

 

 

YOU CAN’T HAVE IT ALL

 

 

I read other people’s writings

And I wonder how they can take those words

And make them turn out so good

Sometimes I get very jealous

And I wonder why I didn’t take those same words

And do the job that another person did

 

Don’t you know you can’t do it all

Don’t you know you have to be yourself

Don’t you know other people have talents

Don’t be afraid  to let them answer the call

 

I listen to other people’s songs

I listen to their beautiful lyrics

I hear their harmony

I wonder why I didn’t write that song

I get so frustrated, sometimes I go into hysterics

 

But don’t you know you can’t have everything

And don’t you know you can’t have it all

Don’t you know you have to be yourself

And let the chips fall

 

Don’t you know other people can have glory

Without detracting anything from you

Don’t you know other people must live their life story

There isn’t anything wrong with that

As long as you do too

 

I see the athletes on the tv

And I see the actors at the movies

And I gaze at them admiringly

But somehow I know that shouldn’t be

They’re people just like you and me

All living their own life to their own styles

Somehow, I know they’re not doing anything I couldn’t do

But you have to remember, you can’t have it all

 

I sometimes wonder if the actor wished he was an athlete

Or the athlete an actor

Or maybe the playboy wants to be a father

Or the father a playboy

 

Don’t you know you can’t have it all

It’s what you see that your life becomes

So don’t be afraid to answer the call

Don’t be afraid to respect other people’s accomplishments

Let other people have their life story

As long as you do too

Don’t you know you can’t have it all

 

Robert P. Wallman

12-14-1980

 

Ps        “Those who are wise

             Will shine like the brightness of the HEAVENS

             And those who lead many to righteousness

             Like the STARS forever and ever”                                                 Daniel 9:3

 

            “Do everything without complaining or arguing

             So that you can become blameless and pure

             Children of God without fault

             In a crooked and depraved generation

             In which you shine like STARS in the universe

             As you hold out the word of life-

             -in order that I may boast on the day of Christ

             That I did not run or labor for nothing”                                     Philippians 2:14-16

No comments:

Post a Comment