Sunday, December 23, 2012








DECEMBER 24, 2012


CHRISTMAS EVE AT THE WALLMANS


From the time we lived at Massachusetts Avenue (1-31-63 to 11-30-98)
We always had the greatest Christmas Eves
Thanks to my mother and father

As a young boy-my two sisters and I-would be surprised
When the elves came
The elves would always bring us pajamas and slippers

My dad would sometimes be cussing
I didn’t know what it was about at the time-but as I got older
I came to understand that he was usually trying to put something
Together ( ie. a bike for my sisters or me )

Often times-we would go to midnight Mass
Except my father-who would sneak off to bed
Even when we had a houseful

And that is what I remember most, the “HOUSEFULS”
We always had an Open House on Christmas Eve

My friends-my sisters’ friends-and even some of my father’s and mother’s friends
Would show up-down through the years
Sometimes-some of our relatives would be there too
If they were just looking to have some fun

It would usually start with Rick and Patty coming after 6:00or 7:00 pm Mass
And as they got older-they would show up with their children-Samantha and Tim
They even came one year less than a week after Timmy was born

Also showing up were Rich and Betty Ann (when they were still married)
And their beautiful daughter Bridget
And Ed and Debbie and their daughter-Samantha
Ray and Arlene and their family
And many other family and friends

Most of it-was just clean fun
But we did have our own version of  “The Twelve Days of Christmas”
And “Pup” singing C is for the Christ child
I will always remember Pup
He died in 1979 in a motorcycle accident
He always carried a “magnum” gun with him everywhere he went
When he came into our house on Christmas Eve
He would take them out and give them to me at the door

And after my cousin, Donny, got divorced
We had our own version of “Same Time-Nest Year”
With him and Rooster

What wonderful memories I have of “CHRISTMAS EVE AT THE WALLMANS”

And when we moved in 1998-my mother wrote the following poem


As we turn out the lights and
Lock the door of this old house
Not a creature is stirring
Not even the proverbial mouse.

Hush!  Quiet and silence.  Can you believe!!!
Any day of the year, but Christmas Eve!!!

Now we REALLY KNOW it’s time to go
But before we do, we want you to know

Through the love and the joy, the laughter & tears
That you have imparted, you have enriched
Our lives all these past 36 years.

If these walls could talk, what tales they would tell
No need, however, we remember them well.

For caring and sharing and just being there
Our love, thanks and warmest wishes for a
Happy New Year.

The Wallman
Christmas 1998

Robert P. Wallman
7-09-07

Ps        “For God so loved the world that he gave his ONE AND ONLY SON
             That whoever believes in him shall NOT PERISH but have eternal life”
                     John 3:16

No comments:

Post a Comment