Friday, March 17, 2023

GRANDFATHER MURPHY

 

March 17th

 

“Grandfather Murphy”

 

 

I remember, well, my Grandfather Murphy.  I used to sit on his lap in the living room,

When I was a young boy.  He was kind.  I remember that he reminded me of Abraham

Lincoln.  But not as tall.

 

He died when I was 6--1 month before my 7th birthday.   My Mom said I became withdrawn

And would hardly even talk.  My Mom said my first grade school teacher called and said,

“what’s wrong?  He acts like he just lost his best friend.”  My Mom said that I did.

 

As a young boy, this was my first real encounter with death.  I still remember him.

He was kind, loyal, and loving.  And smart. 

 

My Grandfather had only a 4th grade education.  Yet he went to Carnegie Tech ( now

Carnegie Mellon ), to study later in his life.  As I got older, I find myself thinking, more

And more, about people that I love ( or loved me), in this life.

 

Granddad, this one is for you.

 

 

Respectfully,

Robert P. Wallman            6/22/07

 

 

Ps        My Grandfather’s Mother and Father were from County Cork Ireland.

          I was told that they met on the boat coming over from Ireland.

 

          Happy Saint Patrick’s Day Everyone—May the luck of the Irish always

          Be with you

 

No comments:

Post a Comment