Tuesday, August 1, 2023

FINDING MEANING IN LIFE

 

 

 

 

 

 

WITNESS

 

 

9-14-13

 

 

FINDING MEANING IN LIFE

 

Where do you find meaning

In your life

Is it family

Is it friends

Is it some worthwhile cause

Greater than you

 

All worthy

All worthwhile

All very important

 

But I suggest to you

That you can never

Really truly find yourself

And the meaning of life

Until you find God

 

“For whoever finds me finds life

And receives favor from the Lord

But whoever fails to find me

Harms himself

All who hate me love death”                                            Proverbs 8:35-36

 

Leo Tolstoy was a great great man

Rich in wealth and fame

With a beautiful wife

But as time went on

He suffered serious bouts of depression

And even contemplated suicide

 

But he eventually

Found peace by reading the Bible

Particularly Jesus’ Sermon on the Mount

He dedicated the rest of his days

To building the Kingdom of God

On earth

 

“Whoever finds his life

Will lose it

And whoever loses his life

For my sake

Will find it”                                                 Matthew 10:39

 

Saint Augustine

Was a womanizer

And living a lost life

He even had

A mistress and an illegitimate son

His Mother---Saint Monica

Continued to pray for him

And his conversion

 

Augustine

Felt a deep yearning

For something more in his life

One day he just flipped open the Bible

And it opened to:

 

“Let us conduct ourselves properly

And in the day

Not in orgies and drunkenness

Not in promiscuity and licentiousness

Not in rivalry and jealousy

But put on the Lord Jesus Christ

And make no provision

For the desires of the flesh”                                    Romans 13:13-14

 

Leo Tolstoy found God

Saint Augustine found God

How about you

How about me

 

“You have made us for yourselves,

Oh Lord,

And our hearts are restless

Until they rest in you”                                                     Saint Augutine

 

In 1977

I had one life and death operation

Two more were to come that same year

 

For most of that year

I was flat on my back in my room

Unable to get out of my bed

It was then that I began

A deep deep search to find God

 

Jesus taught us how to pray

Many many years ago,

“Go in your room alone

Close the door

And pray to your Father in secret

And your Father

Who sees in secret

Will repay you”                                          Matthew 6:6

 

Life is a journey

Not a destination

And along the way

I found God

 

Family has stepped up

For me

Friends have stepped forward

For me

Churches have stepped forward

For me

 

Where do you find your meaning in life

Family, friends, a cause greater than yourself

 

“Seek first the KINGDOM OF GOD

And all these things

Will be given to you”                                                      Luke 12:31

 

WE ARE ALL
CHILDREN OF GOD

 

Robert P. Wallman

4-22-11

 

 

*Inspired by The Word Among Us”---March 9th to April 23rd issue

 

 

Ps        WITNESS        9-14-13

 

MISC.        WITNESS        4-7-14--------11-14-14 and 5-15-2022 and 8-01-2023

 

10-7&8-18

No comments:

Post a Comment