Sunday, December 24, 2023

CHRISTMAS EVE AT THE WALLMANS!

 

December 24th

 

 

“Christmas Eve at the Wallmans”

 

 

From the time I lived at Massachusetts Avenue  ( 1/31/63 till 11/30/98  ), we always had

The greatest Christmas Eves.  Thanks to my Mother and Father.

 

As a young boy, my 2 Sisters and myself would be surprised when the elves came.  The elves

Would always bring us pajamas and slippers.  My Dad would sometimes be cussing.  I didn’t

Know what it was about at the time, but as I got older, I came to understand that he was usually

Trying to put something together,  ( ie. a bike for my Sisters or me ).  Often times, we would go to

Midnight Mass.   Except for my Father, often times he would sneak off to bed even when we had a houseful.

 

And that is what I remember most, the “housefuls.”  We always had an Open House on

Christmas Eve.

 

My friends, both my Sisters’ friends, and even some of my Father’s and Mother’s friends would show

Up, down through the years.  Sometimes, some of our relatives would be there, if they were

Just looking to have some fun.

 

It would usually start off with Rick and Patty coming after 6 or 7 pm Mass.  And as they got older,

And began their family, they would show up with their children, Samantha and Tim.  They even

Came one year right after Timmy was born--less than a week after Timmy was born.

 

Also showing up, were Rich and Betty Ann ( when they were still married ), and their beautiful

Daughter, Bridget.  And Ed and Debbie and their daughter, Samantha.  Ray and Arlene and their

Family and many other family and friends.

 

Most of it, was just good clean fun.  But we did have our version of “The Twelve Days of Christmas.”

And “Pup” singing, “C is for The Christ Child.”  I will always remember Pup.  He died in 1979 in a

Motorcycle accident.  He always carried a “magnum” gun with him everywhere he went.  When he came

Into our house on Christmas Eve, he would take his bullets out and give them to me at the door.

 

And after my cousin, Donny, got divorced, we had our own version of “Same Time Next Year,”

With him and “Rooster.”

 

What wonderful memories I have of Christmas Eve at the Wallmans.  And when we moved in 1998,

My Mother wrote the following poem, and put it inside of our Christmas card, with a picture of

Our house on the front.

 

 

As we turn out the lights and

Lock the door to this old house

 

Not a creature is stirring

Not even the proverbial mouse.

 

Hush!  Quiet and silence.  Can you believe!!!

Any day of the year, but Christmas Eve???

 

Now we REALLY KNOW it’s time to go

But before we do, we want you to know

 

Through the love and the joy, the laughter & tears

That you have imparted, you have enriched

Our lives all these past 36 years.

 

If these walls could talk, what tales they would tell,

No need, however, we remember them well.

 

For caring and sharing and just being there

Our love, thanks and warmest wishes for a

Happy New Year.

 

The Wallmans

Christmas 1998

 

 

7/09/07        Robert P. Wallman

 

No comments:

Post a Comment