Saturday, December 30, 2023

THE MRACLE CONTINUES=HOPE AND GRATITUDE

 

 

 

 

 

 

DECEMBER 30th, 2012

 

 

The Miracle Continues-HOPE AND GRATITUDE

 

 

In my 22nd miracle

I told the story

Of how God saved my life

When I was given zero per cent chance to live

And I told the story

Of the promise I made to God,

“To live for my family, my friends,

And ALL people everywhere,”

If God continued to sustain me with life

 

I consider my promise to God

My personal promise-my personal covenant

With God

I can honestly tell you

That not a day has gone by

Without me thinking of that promise

At least once

 

I can tell you

God has answered my promise with affirmation

Because here I sit some 33 plus years later

And while my life

Has not been the greatest

Of lives by human standards

Or even the life I would have chosen for myself

I have done my very best

To keep up my end of the promise

 

Because of the extended blessing of life

That God has given to me

I got to spend many happy occasions

With my family-both immediate and extended

I got to sit with my mother-holding my father’s hand as he died

Earlier this year-I got to take care of my mom

And sit with my sister-holding her hand as she died

I still have the pleasure of talking to each of my sisters

Every day

My sister, Mary, has four beautiful daughters

And I have received the gift of spending much time

With them and seeing them grow

 

For my part-I have tried to extend my witnessing of God

To as many people as possible

I have been baptized four times-in various churches-and four

Different denominations-ALL CHRISTIAN- over the years

I have shared my story both verbally-and through my poetry

To as many people as possible

 

I have ALWAYS wanted my own family and children

But it never did really happen for me

But about four years ago I met a woman to share my life with

As a friend-I call her “Maggie”

She told me that she always wanted to meet someone

That could teach her about God

And there is nothing I like more than talking about God

So we attend church together on Sunday-and several times a week

We study the Bible together

She has been baptized in the church we both currently attend

 

And so some 33 plus years later-I am still alive

And I believe that there is a universal message

That I am meant to share through my life

 

HOPE

 

It used to be

That we had to die for our Christianity

Today-we must LIVE for it

The ultimate message of our life is one of hope

If we unite our lives with Jesus

And share our successes and sufferings

 

Our responsibilities as Christians

Is to live lives based on mercy-justice-forgiveness

Self-sacrifice and self-denial

The Christian message is one of HOPE- not just for one of us

But for ALL of us

 

GRATITUDE

 

One of my favorite passages in the Bible is the story

Where Jesus heals ten lepers

But only one comes back to say thank you

Jesus says,

“Were not all ten cleansed?  Where are the other nine?

Was no one found to return and give praise to God

Except this foreigner?”        Luke 17:17

 

And I say, “Thank you Lord”

I thank you for the Divine insight to make my promise

To you all those years ago

I thank you for the graciousness in your answer to my promise

I thank you FOR THIS GIFT OF LIFE

I thank you for the gift of time with my father, and my mother,

My sisters, my nieces, my entire family-both immediate and extended

My friends, and my churches

 

And finally-Dear Lord

We ask you to help us, HELP ME, to always come back

And say thank you

And help us, help me

To let you shine so thoroughly through us and in us

That people no longer see us

BUT ONLY YOU

 

Robert P. Wallman

10-30-10

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment